Barbara L. Jouette
Experience and Education
Barbara began her professional career working in the real estate industry, gaining expertise in escrow closing, abstracting, marketing and accounting. Through hard work and dedication, Barbara was promoted to the top management position in the companies she served and achieved record profitability in the branches she managed. Moreover, Barbara developed and directed company-wide advanced learning programs and was the recipient of the E. Gordon Smith Scholastic Award given by the Texas Land Title Association.
In 1991, Barbara decided to pursue a career as an attorney. To that end, she graduated Summa Cum Laude from Dallas Baptist University in 1994 with a Bachelor of Business Administration. She then went on to Texas Wesleyan University School of Law where she obtained her Doctor of Jurisprudence, graduating Magna Cum Laude in 1997 as the second in her class.
Barbara’s practice areas include Wills & Estates, Premarital and Postnuptial Agreements, Family Law and Adoption Law. She has proven trial experience in Collin, Denton, Grayson and Dallas County District and County Courts.
Barbara’s extensive background in property enables her to provide divorce clients with comprehensive, properly documented and enforceable division of asset and liability services. Further Barbara, is a keen negotiator and mediator and is an Approved Mediator for Collin County and Dallas County courts.
Barbara has been an active member of professional organizations beginning early in her career. She served as the Chairperson of the Legislative Committee for the Collin County Board of Realtors Women’s Council and went on to become the Editor of the Collin County Association of Realtors Newsletter during 1990 and 1991.
While in law school, Barbara also served as an Articles Editor of the Texas Wesleyan Law Review and went on to become the Editor-in Chief.
Barbara is a member of the Collin County Bar Association, State Bar of Texas (Family Law and Real Estate Sections) and The College of the State Bar of Texas. She also serves as a Board Member for the Collin County Bench Bar Foundation.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Child Support
- Custody & Visitation
- Premarital and Postnuptial Agreements
- Real Estate Law
- Wills & Estates
- Texas, 1997
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas, 1997
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1997
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2006
- Texas Wesleyan University School of Law, Dallas, Texas
- J.D. magna cum laude - 1997
- Honors: Second in her Class
- Dallas Baptist University
- Bachelor of Business Administration summa cum laude - 1994
Honors and Awards
- Recipient of the E. Gordon Smith Scholastic Award given by the Texas Land Title Association
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Collin County Board of Realtors Women Council, Chairperson, Legislative Committee
- Collin County Association of Realtors Newsletter, Editor, 1990 - 1991
- Collin County Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Family Law and Real Estate Sections, Member
- The College of the State Bar of Texas, Member
- Collin County Bench Bar Foundation, Board Member