McKinney Child Support Enforcement Lawyer

Texas Child Custody Contempt Attorney

Once court orders are in place, they need to be followed. If your former spouse or your child's other parent refuses to follow those orders, enforcement action can be taken. At the law office of Barbara L. Jouette, Attorney, P.C., we act quickly, moving your case forward to enforce court orders related to:

  • Child support
  • Child custody
  • Visitation
  • Alimony
  • Property division

Contempt of Court

With few exceptions, if a person fails to follow court orders, that person can be held in contempt of court. The steps we take are going to be dictated by the orders that have been violated. In the case of unpaid child support and failure to follow child custody orders, the violations are typically clear cut. The other party did not send the money or has substantially deviated from the custody arrangements. We will file a motion to compel them to follow the orders and have them sanctioned if they do not.

In the case of property division orders not being followed, the wording of the orders may play a role. For example, if the other party was ordered to pay a certain amount by a certain date but did not have that money at the time the order was issued, that person cannot be held in contempt of court. However, a judgment may be issued against them.

The threat of being held in contempt of court is very powerful leverage in itself. If the other party is held in contempt, that person will be ordered to pay your lawyer's fees. Often, in order to avoid this additional financial burden, the other party will be willing to reach a settlement arrangement that meets your needs.

Free 30-Minute Family Law Consultation

Your interests are our highest priority. Contact us today to discuss your questions and concerns in a confidential, complimentary consultation with a trusted, compassionate and committed McKinney child support enforcement attorney.