Main Menu Practice Areas
Barbara L. Jouette, Attorney, P.C.
888-268-7997 / 214-385-4562

August 2013 Archives

Divorce finalized for San Antonio Spurs star, Tim Duncan and wife

Marriage can be difficult and, occasionally, two people may find that they no longer work as a married couple. When this happens, people will often file for divorce from their spouse to obtain a legal end to the marriage, allowing both parties the opportunity to move on however they choose. There is more to a divorce, however, than just filing the petition. A settlement must be reached finalizing the couple’s separation, including dividing marital resources, determining whether spousal support payments are in order and deciding child custody, among other details.

Girl’s grandmother seeks child support from jailed father

Readers in Collin County are likely aware that there are situations where parents may not be raising a child together. Even if a child is no longer in a parent’s care, in most cases they still have a legal obligation to provide for a portion of the financial needs of their child. There are some instances where a child may not be raised by either parent and instead is in the care of a relative. That family member may choose to seek child support in the event that one or both of the child’s parents are alive and able to provide.

Usher may lose custody of sons after oldest almost drowns

In Collin County and elsewhere, child custody battles between parents can be long and heated. In many cases, each parent feels that they know what is in the best interests of the child, and often times, those opinions do not match up. Situations like these can become even touchier when a parent believes the other is putting the children in danger.

Sweetin, Coyle dispute custody and alimony in divorce filings

When couples in Collin County decide their marriage is no longer working, they often choose to divorce. In the majority of cases, there are issues that need to be sorted out in order to reach a settlement. Couples may disagree on things, including child custody, spousal support and property division, and require the assistance of a family law court to reach an agreement.