Main Menu Practice Areas
Barbara L. Jouette, Attorney, P.C.
888-268-7997 / 214-385-4562

Girl’s grandmother seeks child support from jailed father

Readers in Collin County are likely aware that there are situations where parents may not be raising a child together. Even if a child is no longer in a parent’s care, in most cases they still have a legal obligation to provide for a portion of the financial needs of their child. There are some instances where a child may not be raised by either parent and instead is in the care of a relative. That family member may choose to seek child support in the event that one or both of the child’s parents are alive and able to provide.

Following the arrest of a young girl’s father on allegations that he murdered her mother, a 6-year-old girl was put in the custody of her maternal grandmother. According to reports, the woman has since filed a motion requesting the court order her son-in-law to make monthly child support payments. The girl’s father is currently in jail. He has been charged in the poisoning death of her mother.

The girl’s father has reportedly lost access to all of his accounts, save one account with a balance of approximately $280,000 that is meant for his legal expenses. As a result of the grandmother’s filing, a judge could order him to make child support payments to assist with his daughter’s financial needs either out of his legal expense account, or from one of the previously frozen accounts, to meet his parental responsibilities.

If you are involved in a child support dispute, or feel that your situation warrants a modification, it may be of benefit to consult with an experienced attorney to discuss your options. A lawyer can answer any questions and address any concerns that you may have.

Source: CBS News, “Autumn Klein Update: Maternal grandmother seeks child support from Pa. researcher accused in wife’s cyanide killing”, Stephanie Slifer, August 13, 2013