Main Menu Practice Areas
Barbara L. Jouette, Attorney, P.C.
888-268-7997 / 214-385-4562

Filing for annulment in Texas

When Texas couples find that their marriage is coming to an end, the normal course of action to resolve the dispute is a divorce. This can be a long, messy process, however, one that couples may want to avoid. One way to do so is by getting an annulment. There are certain criteria that much be met, however.

The main reason annulments are granted are in cases of underage marriage. If someone under the age of 18 gets married without their parents’ consent, the union may be considered illegitimate. As such, their parent or legal guardian may petition for the annulment. Once the underage married person turns 18, though, their guardian may not file for annulment. 

For legal adults, an annulment may granted if either party was intoxicated by alcohol or drugs, therefore are unable to legally consent. If a person is otherwise mentally incapable of contenting to marriage, the union can be ended without divorce. In addition, if one party used fraud or force in order to get married, the other party may get an annulment.

Concealing specific information could lead to an annulment. If one party did not reveal a recent divorce to the other party, or that they are impotent, the court may grant an annulment. Finally, if the marriage is less than 72 hours old, a divorce may not be necessary to end the union. If you fit any of these criteria, it may be beneficial to contact a family law attorney in order to petition the courts for an annulment. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information