Main Menu Practice Areas
Barbara L. Jouette, Attorney, P.C.
888-268-7997 / 214-385-4562

Obtaining child support modifications in Texas

Parents across Texas, who are not married to or in a relationship with their child's other parent, know that child support can often mean the difference between financial security and financial ruin. Those who depend on their child support payments to put food on their table and a roof over their head may sometimes need to request more child support when their situation changes. If you need more child support to care for your child, you may want to learn more about child support modifications.

A parent who is considering pursuing a child support modification needs to ensure his or her situation meets one of two criteria. The first is that it has to have been at least three years since child support was ordered or last modified. In addition, the monthly difference in amount, based on Texas guidelines, must be at least $100 or 20 percent.

The second criteria to be met are that the needs of the child or children or the circumstances of one or both parents have changed dramatically. Dramatic changes can include increases or decreases in income or increased financial responsibilities for the noncustodial parent in the form of additional children. Also, applicable are changes to the cost of health care and changes to the children's living arrangements, such as a move from one parent's home to the other.

If, after reading the above, you believe that your circumstances warrant a child support modification, you can pursue the change with the help of a family law attorney. An attorney can help you gather the necessary documents. Additionally, your lawyer can help ensure you complete all the necessary paperwork and file it with the proper Texas authority.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information