Main Menu Practice Areas
Barbara L. Jouette, Attorney, P.C.
888-268-7997 / 214-385-4562

What to do if your child has been abducted

Divorce settlements may cause arguments between couples which may result in one parent being disheartened and unhappy with their visitation agreement plan. In Texas, one parent is awarded as the custodial parent. The custodial parent is the guardian of their child and has sole custody.  The custodial parent pays for child support, which can include their education, health and well-being.

The guardian will also pay necessary expenses such as check-ups, medications and help with any disabilities for the best care of the child. The caregiver will care for the child if they are suffering from any mental illness. The other parent of the child is the non-custodial parent and they are awarded visitation time by the judge.

Often couples who are unable to reach an agreement for visitation can start to feel resentful towards each other. This may affect your child as they are torn that they have to share their time with one parent for a longer period of time. In this case, parents may feel frustrated by their spouse and their failure to adhere to the parental visitation agreement plan they chose to follow in court. They may allow their emotions to cloud their judgment and resort to a criminal activity, like abducting their child from the custodial parent.

Child abduction is a federal crime. The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (CCAICA) is a multilateral treaty to recover internationally abducted children from the United States, Brazil, Syria, France or other countries governed by the CCAICA.

You may consider hiring an attorney who is skilled in international child abduction cases.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information